Blogs are very relevant when it comes to marketing, and great marketing companies will strongly encourage their clients to provide a regular and dynamic blog as part of their strategy.
So, what is the difference between a good and a bad blog?
I believe that it has to do with interest and passion. It is not the same to have to write something out of obligation as when you do it because you are passionate and genuinely interested in something.
Here are a few points that you may want to add to your checklist if you are planning on starting a blog that matters.
1. Find your passion. Everybody is passionate about something! Some have so many passions that it can be hard to choose, but think about topics, hobbies, areas, or activities that you enjoy doing and need some skill and knowledge to execute. And if you are one of those who has plenty of options, select 3 of them and work with the one that you know best.
2. Find your purpose. Once you have your best idea, you need to find a purpose. It might seem the same as finding a topic, but it is not. With your idea in mind, think about what you want to do with it: you may want to share your work, you may want to teach how to do it, you could sell stuff that helps other people to do whatever it is that you are writing about, etc. Find what you want to do with what you know.
3. Identify the main topic for your blog. Ok, so let’s just say that you found a purpose for teaching how to do something; now identify the main topic. Is it about materials, or about a specific set of skills that need to be developed? Only you can define all of this.
4. Identify your satellite topics. Then move on to these satellite topics (also known as “categories”). Not everything you blog about needs to be applied to the main topic. Sometimes, especially with crafts, for example, people are interested in knowing about a specific material or machine that you might have used. You can also work with those satellite topics to add even more people to your audience.
5. Identify the main issues surrounding the main topic. We all know that nothing is free from some fuzz. Another great thing to add to our blog is a discussion of the problems that you can encounter when you are into any type of arts or crafts and how to solve them. This is a great new area of expertise; some people even share their results from trying to restore this or that that ended up in a completely different thing but with a great outcome.
6. Write something good enough for you to read and share with some family members and friends and ask for their opinions, or go and find a community and check what they are talking about concerning your blog. If it is not interesting or helpful enough for you, what makes you think that other people will like to read or watch whatever it is that you are sharing? Make it interesting!
7. Share everywhere and build up your follower list. You may have all that it takes to be a great blogger, but if nobody knows your blog, then you are doomed to be forever alone. Share it with the world, shake the shy away, and show all you have to offer to everyone – everywhere!
There are many things that you can do with a blog, the only thing that can stop you from starting your own is yourself. Top marketing companies can help set you on your way or even provide blog content on your behalf. The sky really is the limit!