Do you want more blog traffic?
I think I already know the answer…
Of course you do.
And there’s a way to get more traffic, building relationships with influencers, and gain credibility as a blogger.
It all starts with blog commenting.
You may be thinking, “But Sue, I’ve commented on a lot of blog posts and I’ve never gotten any traffic from it. It doesn’t work for me.”
If you’ve commented on lots of blog posts and not seen any traffic from it, it’s probably because you’re not going about it in the right way. That’s why I’m about to walk you step by step through the exact process I’ve used to get more traffic by commenting on blogs and doing blogger outreach.
Bonus Tip: You will also improve your SEO by following this method.
Step 1: Generate a list of influencers you want to build relationships with.
I recommend starting with a list of 20 influencers in your niche.
You can find them by Googling “Top [YOUR NICHE] + Blogs.”
You will find lists of blogs in your niche as well as some roundup posts. Click into them and look around. Which blogs do you see again and again? Which ones do you enjoy reading?
Pay attention to which influencers actually respond to their blog comments, because that will give you a sense of whether they will notice your comments or not.
Once you have your 20 target blogs, create a spreadsheet and include:
- The blog URL
- The influencer’s name
- The day they publish new posts (if they blog consistently)
- A way to keep track of your commenting
Step 2. Rotate through the list and comment on posts.
Every day, choose 2 influencers on the list and comment on their blog posts.
For the most popular bloggers, subscribe to their RSS feeds so that you can be one of the first commenters when they come out with a new post.
Many influencers get hundreds of blog comments on each post, and being one of the first commenters will mean that they will see your comment first. Blog visitors will see also your comment, and they will hopefully click over to your blog post.
How to write a terrific blog comment:
- Go beyond writing that you enjoyed the post. What did you enjoy about it? List a few specific things that stood out to you. Doing so will show the writer that you actually read the post, and it will help him or her to trust you more.
- Add a few insights of your own. Since you are only commenting on blogs in your niche, you should be an expert on the same topics covered in the posts. Search out ways to extend the value offered in the post or to start a dialogue about the concepts raised. When other readers notice your thoughtful insights, they will be more likely to click over to your blog.
- If there is a spot to include your URL, paste a URL of a specific blog post instead of the URL to your blog in general. This will help with SEO.
After a month or so of doing this, you will start to get more traffic as blog readers will begin to recognize your name in the comments of their favorite blogs and then click over to see who you are.
But the next part of the strategy will yield you even more blog traffic.
Step 3. Ask the influencers to participate in a roundup post on your blog.
Now that you have gotten the attention of some of the influencers in your niche, it’s time to extend the relationship and feature their advice on your blog.
Create an expert round up post where you ask all the influencers a thoughtful question and share their advice with your readers.
Since you have spent the time to cultivate relationships with the influencers, they will be more likely to write a few sentences that you can include in your roundup post.
When the post comes out, tell the influencers. Many of them will share it with their audiences, and you will get even more blog traffic.
Step 4. Offer to guest post for the influencers in your round up post
Many influencers accept guest posts on their blogs, and they get multiple requests every day from hopeful bloggers wanting a chance to be featured.
Lucky for you, they already know who you are, because you have built your relationship with them by commenting regularly on their blog and featuring them on your blog, as well. So when you send them a request to guest post, they will be far more likely to pay attention to you.
Go to the guest posting guidelines on their website and then send them a quick email, pitching them on a guest post. Some bloggers want a fully written post, while others are happy with a summary of 1 or 2 of your blog post ideas.
When your guest post is published on an influencer’s blog, you will be seen as an influencer as well. Many of their readers will stop by to check out your blog, and your traffic will go up for the few days after the guest post is published.
You will also continue to get traffic from their blog, and your SEO will improve as you will have high-quality backlinks going from their blog to yours.
To get more blog traffic from commenting on other blogs:
- Write a list of 20 influencers you want to build relationships with
- Rotate through the list and comment on 2 blogs per day for at least 2 cycles
- Reach out and ask some of the influencers to be on an expert roundup post on your blog
- Pitch guest posts to the influencers
If you follow these 4 steps, you will get more blog traffic.
Do you have a strategy for blog commenting? Share in the comments below.