You’re starting to doubt your blog.
Your friends are your only readers. You’re not getting any comments or shares. You feel like your blog pales in comparison to other blogs in your niche.
Well, every blogging newbie feels the same at some point.
Don’t worry … there’s a way out. In fact, there are lots of ways to take your blog from blah to breathtaking. Below are 30 ways to make it happen:
1. Pick a catchy name for your blog. The first thing your readers see is your blog’s name. It should be memorable and catchy. A great name hints that the content will be great as well.
2. Care about design. Similar to choosing a good blog name, your blog design can make or break your blog, so dress to impress when it comes to blog design.
3. Set a goal. Before you start bringing your blog to life again, define your direction. Is your goal to increase your readership? Are you going to share your experiences and write about what you enjoy?
4. Blog about what you truly love. What are the things you find most interesting? People can only write well if they write about what they like. It makes it an enjoyable process.
5. Be unique. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Combine multiple interests. Suppose you like singing and cooking. Why not to write about both things in your blog?
6. Arrange the About Me page. Let your readers know who you are and what you’re going to tell them. Don’t disappoint their expectations.
7. Keep an eye on the blog statistics. Use Google Analytics to see the full picture of your blog’s metrics. And it’s always a good idea to check what type of content your readers like best.
8. Google Alerts. Monitoring mentions of your blog is an indispensable part of running a blog. Google Alerts is a perfect helper here as it tracks everything automatically.
9. Provide links. Try to include links to both external sources (of course, only the trustful ones) and your own blog posts. It lets readers see the wider context and allows them to explore related material by just following the links you put in your posts.
10. Read more about blogging. Of course, learning something new about blogging is an advantage. Diving into the nuances of blogging is a must for those who want to be professional bloggers.
11. Become a part of the blogging community. Try not to view other bloggers as your competitors. First of all, they are the ones who can share their experiences with you, answer questions, and maybe even inspire you.
12. Add new plugins. New plugins mean new cool features. They help both you and your readers work with the blog, comment, share materials, and so on.
13. Define your perfect reader. Know your readers with as much detail as possible: Age, gender, location, occupation, lifestyle, hobby, and so on. Later, you’ll be creating your blog content based on these characteristics.
14. Create a stunning content plan. Yes, plan. Conduct research that will let you know what types of content are popular among your target readers, then create a posting schedule and pick interesting topics that you’d like to write about.
15. Post regularly. Stick to your posting schedule! Publish posts at least once a week (in fact, the more often you post, the better it is for your blog).
16. Make sure your content is unique. When researching, bloggers run the risk of accidental plagiarism. Before publishing posts, make it a rule to check them for similarity with other material by using a plagiarism checker. Plagiarism is a serious issue all bloggers should pay attention to.
17. Mind headlines. The headline is the first thing that draws readers’ attention to your writings. If it sounds catchy and promises to entertain or help, you’ll see your visiting statistics grow. If you’re not sure you can write a stunning article, try HUBSPOT'S BLOG TOPIC GENERATOR for ideas.
18. Optimize your blog. Blogging is not just about writing. You need to learn lots of other blogging stuff, including SEO (search engine optimization). Your blog may be well worth noticing, but you have to know how to help the search engines find it.
19. Pick appropriate keywords. High-rate keywords are great for your blog, but other blogs use them as well. Long-tail keywords are less used, and may be your best chance to let the web know about your blog.
20. Use tags. One more way to be noticed is using tags. They help readers sort and track materials that they are interested in.
21. Interact with your audience. Blogging doesn’t work without communication. If there’s no communication, the blog is prone to failure. Your readers are the ones who make your blog successful.
22. Email your readers. Do you appreciate your audience? If so, then congratulate your new subscribers with a welcome letter, and from time to time let them know there’s something new and interesting on your blog.
23. Interlink old posts. Got some good old posts? Refresh the memories of your readers by giving links to them in your current postings.
24. Exchange experience with other bloggers. Ask more mature bloggers for advice as well as consult blogging newbies.
25. Accept guest posts. Guest posting is a form of collaboration among bloggers that helps let the world know about you and your fantastic blog. Try it!
26. Be an active blogger. Besides letting guests post, try contacting awesome resources where you can publish your own articles. Authors usually write in their bio what blogs they run, so it’s a chance for you to announce yourself.
27. Join an affiliate program. Affiliate programs are quite popular among bloggers. It’s a way to earn some rewards for advertising those products or services on your blog.
28. Engage social media. Add social media buttons to your blog so readers can easily share your materials. For example, if you use WordPress, there’s a number of plugins you can use for this.
29. Invite contributors. These can be opinion leaders or just other writers you hire to create great content. Posts written by opinion leaders can drive a lot of new traffic to your blog.
30. Submit your blog to blog directories. Including your blog in directories provides you with a chance to get more traffic. What do they do? Blog directories such as Best of the Web Blogs boost your blog and get yours ranked higher in search engine results.
You see, it’s not that difficult. You don’t need to be a magician to make your blog superb. Just spend a bit more effort and time and enjoy your work.
Leona Hinton is a young writer, blogger, and educator from Chicago. She loves reading classic literature and dreams about space travel to the Moon. Follow her on Twitter!