This was my first giveaway and I've learned a lot from it.
1. It's fun running contests and giveaways because I love my readers. They're all winners who deserve to be rewarded for their creative blogging.
2. Running a giveaway does take time. I spent a lot of time liaising with the sponsors, writing and refining my blog post, checking the entries and organizing the draw. I also have to do some admin now paying the winners.
3. I chose a way of entering which involved minimum effort. All people had to do was add a sentence to the bottom of any blog post with two links in it and leave a comment on the giveaway blog post here.
4. I chose a cash prize with three winners so share the love. Our prizes were $100, $75 and $50 which I hoped would be enough to entice people to enter given their effort involved was minimal.
5. The giveaway didn't get me any noticeable bump in traffic and we didn't get as many entries as I hoped for. But our sponsor Rocketman is happy with the number of new sign ups they got so that's the most important thing.
6. You can use Random.org to draw the winners.
7. You don't have to draw a giveaway on video but I wanted to because I was excited to see won. I also wanted to learn how to make a screencast using Camtasia (I used the free 30 day trial) and then edit that into a short video with Windows Live Media Player (free). I made a few slips of the tongue in the video, you probably wouldn't notice, but I think I actually did the draw right.
Giveaway Draw and Results on Video
Pssst: Reading this by email? Please visit the blog to see the video.
So how do you do a giveaway?
- Find a sponsor.
- Choose a contest idea which is easy to enter and will help you grow a bigger audience for you and your sponsor.
- Be fair and make sure you deliver on your promises.
Would I do a giveaway again?
Absolutely. I'd love to have bigger prizes to giveaway. It makes me feel like Father Christmas but without the big belly and outlandish facial hair.
And the Winners Are
All Successful Blogging readers are winners but this time the cash goes to:
$75 Marge at DeeliteMe
$50 for Sara at Tis the Life
Congratulations! I've emailed you asking for your details so I can wire you the cash. I hope you spend it on something lovely.
Thank You, Rocketman, Everyone Who Entered and Our Successful Blogging Readers
Rocketman is a hot new Australian company who support bloggers by collaborating with them to create and share brand funded content. They kindly offered this cash giveaway to help more bloggers find out about their hot new product RocketFuel. Check it out here.
I so appreciate all the support from my readers and everyone who entered. I'd love to send you all $100 but please know you're all worth a lot more than that anyway.
Keep blogging. Keep learning. Keep having fun.
I'll be back with more blogging tips soon.
I'd love your opinion
- Why did or didn't you enter?
- How could I do a better giveaway next time?
- What kinds of prizes would you love most?