To succeed at blogging you need to focus on people. The unique people who will be reading your blog.
When I hold blogging workshops we talk about being very specific about who your ideal blog readers are.
For example, on Successful Blogging there are three main profiles for my idea readers:
1. A 35 year old woman who’s just starting her own creative business and wants to do it right from the beginning.
2. A forty year old mother with an established business who isn’t getting the results they should from their existing website or blog.
3. A new writer who wants to build up a platform for her readers.
Who’s Your Ideal Reader?
Now I’ve built up a readership have real blog readers and lovely people leaving comments so I can write with specific people in mind.
But still every time I write a blog post I ask:
- Is this what my dear readers need most right now?
- How can I best help you?
- What can I do to make the solution simpler.
- How can I leave you feeling motivated, uplifted and inspired to put the tips into action?
But in the early days, when readers were few and far between, I imagined my ideal reader and created a mini profile on them.
If you want to find new readers you have to make sure you know who they are because only then can you give them what they’re looking for.
If you do it right your readers will go on to become loyal readers, email subscribers and a marketing team who passionately recommend your blog and products or services.
Focus on the people and everything else will fall into place.
Do you know who your ideal reader is?
Please tell us a bit about them here to better help you focus on your ideal reader next time you write a blog post. As a bonus your comment should help you connect with some new readers too.
Happy Blogging Until Next Time
Blogging Tips A-Z runs every Sunday (or Monday if you’re in Australia). It’s a quick start guide for new bloggers and a refresher course for bloggers who want to stay motivated and inspired. Subscribe now by email or RSS feed so you don’t miss out.
Need more blogging help? Check out my workbook and audio book Successful Blogging in 12 Simple Steps. Click here to find out more.